Saturday, 2 July 2016

Upper Masts

Still a long way to go on the rigging but sometimes you need to look at how much you have done and not how much there is to do!

Things are going to get a lot harder shortly in terms of access.

Standing rigging coming along.

I am going to make some coils of rope to lay over ropes attached to the canons, at the moment there disappear into the deck, obviously when the coils of rope lay over these it wont be visible.

I think i am soon going to have to remove the ships life boats to enable better access to the belaying pins.

Very pleased with the end result the jigs i made to keep everything in line really worked well.

The ratlines certainly take a long time to make them look neat, at least the upper ones are a little shorter and less shrouds which means each line is short (so less clove hitches)

Some of you may have noticed that i have not done any work to the front boom jib, this is intentional, i don't get to spend much time working on the model (hence why its taken around 12 years so far) and i like to keep it safe and it is stored in a large wardrobe for safe keeping (kids around the house etc) if i were to to the jib boom it wouldn't go in the wardrobe and would have to stay constantly out and would be at risk of damage.
So i am trying to avoid installing the jib boom for as long as possible.

Soon be starting the upper shrouds and ratlines.


Thursday, 12 February 2015


The ratlines went really well, very tedious job and seemed to take forever.  

The paper guide behind the shrouds with the ratlines marked out (6mm spacing) worked very well at keeping them all straight and spaced out correctly. I also marked the shroud lines (vertical lines) this ensured that I was not pulling the lines in making the shrouds curved and not straight as they should be.
The last ratlines for the time being.

Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Masts and Shrouds

Time to start the ratlines now, I don't want to even know how many clove hitch knots I am going to have to tie !








The template also keeps all the bindings in line.




The templates really keep the deadeyes in line, and well worth doing.


All the Lanyards now done, all turned out as good as I hoped it would.

The ship is kept in an empty wardrobe when its not being worked on, which is why I haven't put the bowsprit into position yet. We have a young son running around the house so its best kept safe until it wont fit in the wardrobe anymore.
Really pleased with how its going, the template seems to be working a treat.

I decided to make a template to make sure all the shrouds were in line, it should just be a case of pulling the pins out when I rig the dead eyes. 


I decided to Cad these out to be sure the holes etc. were in the correct place. I then cut each section out and used it as a guide for the divisions with the holes already marked on each section. 

So time to start the masts and rigging ! Anyone that has made a model period ship will know this is a daunting task.